The Fine Art of Songwriting
You need a subscription to access this page.
This page can only be accessed by subscribers to the The Fine Art of Songwriting and higher tiers. Subscribe now to get access.
Watch the video and subscribe now to receive exclusive access to high-quality video lessons, downloadable mp3s, and pdfs, delivered every week* Cost: $25 per month
I. Songwriting Masterclass-Discussion on a wide range of topics including:
- Guitar Method and Music Theory for Songwriters
- 5 Key-Forms and a Capo
- Extended Chords and Progressions
- Chord Substitution
- Writing the Big Chorus
- How To Tell a Story with Words and Music
- Figurative Language for the Lyricist
- Sound and Sense
- Songwriter Contracts
II. Song Breakdown-Steve discusses principles from his (and other) songs that you can put to use right away:
- Intentional Melody Writing
- Functional-vs-Decorative Metaphor
- Particulars Reveal Universals
- Unintended Ambiguities
- Writing the Record
III. Songwriters Toolbox-Handy tips for the serious craftsman:
- Cure for the Curse of the Second Verse
- Titles of Ambiguity
- Creating a "Style File"
- Song Ideas
- Deliberate Practice
- Exposition Method
IV. Steve's Peeve's-My particular Like's and Don't Like's:
- To Tag or Not To Tag?
- Painting with Different Colors
- Co-Writing:It's never 50/50
- "The glass shakes, the wine is spilt."
- Perfect Rhyme Every Time?
- Eight Chords and The Truth
- Learning Other People's Songs
- Paying to Co-Write
- The Sacred Space
*Unless otherwise notified.(Sometimes life happens and new content can be delayed.)
Steve is a multiple BMI Award-winning and Grammy Award-winning songwriter, with songs recorded by Kenny Rogers, Mark Chesnutt, George Strait, Darryl Worley, Rhonda Vincent, Neal McCoy, Ricky Skaggs, Darius Rucker, and others.
Steve has taught Songwriting at Belmont University, Nashville, TN, Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN, Jazz History at Tallahassee Community College,Tallahassee, FL, and in 2013 was one of four internationally-selected candidates considered for the Chair of the Songwriting Department, Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA. Steve is a Senior Faculty Member at Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI), and a contributor to American Songwriter Magazine.